10 Essential Steps to Take Following an Auto Accident
Most auto accident victims will tell you the crash came out of nowhere. As a result, even the most level-headed drivers can be left shocked and shaken. As a result, it is wise to have a plan in place for you to follow to ensure you don’t make a costly mistake. We recommend printing out the following checklist and keeping it with your proof of insurance, so it is readily available when you need it most.
- The most important step is to determine if anyone involved in the accident needs medical assistance. Call 911 immediately.
- Remain calm and do not start shouting at the other driver. Although you will feel highly emotional and upset, take several deep breaths and remind yourself that losing your cool will not help matters and could work against you down the road in settling your claim.
- All drivers and passengers involved in the wreck should find a safe place away from traffic to wait for emergency services to arrive.
- You should also call the police for assistance. Even in small fender-benders, it is helpful to obtain a police report. Additionally, if you were involved in a hit-and-run accident, your insurance policy likely requires the police to be contacted within a certain time frame.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver. If you have a smartphone, take a picture of the other driver’s insurance verification card and driver’s license.
- Do not discuss the cause of the accident or admit guilt to the other driver or anyone else at the scene of the crash. Let the police, your insurance adjuster and/or your attorney gather that information.
- If you have a camera available on your cell phone or otherwise, take numerous pictures of the scene of the accident. You should take pictures of the wrecked vehicles, the roadway, the other driver and/or passengers, and anything else that may be relevant to proving your insurance claim or personal injury claim.
- Write down the name and contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- Contact your insurance agent and ensure that you comply with any time limits for filing your claim. If the driver at fault for the accident does not have insurance, you should confirm that you have uninsured motorist coverage and consider whether you want to sue the negligent driver to recover your damages.
- Hire an experienced auto accident attorney to assist you with all of the above steps and to ensure you recover the maximum amount possible as quickly as possible. The sooner you get us involved the more likely you are to obtain a positive result.
We understand the pain, anxiety, and frustration you may be going through right now, and we want to help you get your life back. If you have been injured by someone else’s negligence, you deserve payment for your medical bills, lost wages, and emotional distress. If you or someone you love has been hurt in a traffic accident in Southern California, please do not hesitate to contact Chaleff Rehwald for the tough advocacy you need and deserve. Call us today!
"My experience with Daniel was pretty extraordinary"
My experience with Daniel was pretty extraordinary. I generally feel very confident about my abilities and experience in my given profession, but I found myself unable to move forward with my job. I was terminated without sufficient cause and owed money from past sales. I wasn't sure what to do or even how to start. Fortunately we were referred to Daniel Chaleff and his firm. I was put at ease after the first conversation with him.
"He listened when no one else would..."
My experience with Kevin Rehwald was great. Always took my calls, or promptly returned messages. Willing to explain to me what was going on with my case, and hear ideas I brought to the table at all times. I always felt I could trust him and that he was being 100% "up front" with me and had my best interest as a priority. He showed me that indeed, there IS "light at the end of the tunnel"...
"knew exactly how to handle every situation"
I worked directly with Dan Chaleff, but all attorneys at this firm where involved and knowledgeable about my case. Dan was detailed and methodical he knew exactly how to handle every situation. I was proud to have this firm representing me and I would definitely recommend them! I was very pleased with the settlement they won on my behalf and wouldn't change a thing!
"Direct to the point, polished and knowledgable Attorney"
Kevin Rehwald is trustworthy individual who will tell you where you stand on your case. He is good on following up and following through. He helps you ease with your stress and gives assurance that he will do his best to fight for your rights. He was able to settle my case in a short period.
I have been intending for some time to write to you and say 'Thank you.' My family greatly appreciates the highly professional way that you handled our recent legal matter regarding my former employer. When it became clear that I had a legitimate complaint, I turned to Bet Tzedek Legal Services in order that they could evaluate my legal situation and make a referral. We believe that we were very fortunate to have been referred to you. I vividly recall that you carefully gathered the facts and expertly organized the material in preparation for your initial contact with my former employer. Upon receiving their response, you formed a plan with me to move ahead, always keeping the door open for the defendant to step forward and settle our grievances fairly and expediently. When their window of opportunity had closed, you prepared for trial in a thorough and thoughtful way that further instilled our confidence in you. At trial, you were sharp but respectful, thoroughly prepared and knowledgeable of the facts and on point with your strong legal arguments. You inexorably moved the case forward toward a fair and just conclusion. The commissioner agreed and awarded our side everything we were asking for. I believe that it was your expertise, preparation and professional manner that carried the day and resoundingly won our case. Allow me to express my heartfelt gratitude to you and to state that I would welcome the opportunity to refer others to you who are seeking an outstanding lawyer. Please feel free to use my name as a reference at any time. An honest and strong referral is the least that I can do to show my genuine appreciation to you for your outstanding professionalism and the successful legal outcome that you achieved for us. Thank you Daniel.
CAREGIVERS, WHY ARE YOU WAITING TO RECOVER YOUR UNPAID OVERTIME WAGES?
Over the past few years, the attorneys at CHALEFF REHWALD (www.cr.legal) have had the honor of informing hundreds of caregivers about the specific overtime laws that protect them from being overworked and underpaid. Many of these caregivers decided to call us after seeing our articles in Weekend Balita and the US Asian Post. These are […]
Posted Jul 05, 2018
In-Home Caregivers: Are You Paid Overtime?
If you are employed as a 24-hour caregiver, providing care to an individual inside their home, you are likely entitled to overtime compensation. If you are paid a day rate, you are not receiving overtime and likely have a valuable claim. This is true whether you are hired directly by the patient or paid though […]
Posted Jun 26, 2018
Caregiver WINS $170,000 Before Labor Commissioner
Chaleff Rehwald, a law firm dedicated to protecting the rights of caregivers, is pleased to announce a recent client award in an overtime claim before the Labor Commissioner. Although each caregiver overtime case is unique, many of the same issues come up over and over again. Many times, caregivers are afraid to seek justice because […]
Posted Jun 26, 2018